Top excuses for not having a tax disc revealed by the DVLA
A driver who claimed he could not leave the house because he had taken too much viagra is just one of the excuses that people have given for not taxing their car.
According to the latest information which the DVLA has released, those motorists who were last year caught driving without a tax disc used a wide range of excuses. Another one was the driver who claimed that if the tax cost more than the value of the car you didn’t have to have it.
One motorist claimed to have fallen out of a tree while fruit picking and broke both arms so they could not fill in the necessary forms, while one motorist even blamed their mobile phone.
Carolyn Williams, DVLA’s Head of Digital Services, said:
“The vast majority of people tax their car on time but it amazes me to see the excuses people come up with. It is easier than ever before for people to tax their car and our digital services are designed to be used any time of day or night to fit in with people’s lifestyles – so there really is no need for silly excuses.”
The 10 silliest excuses:
1. My accountant told me I’m due a tax rebate so I didn’t think I needed to pay again this year.
2. I was on my way to the Post Office to tax the car and called into the betting shop – there was a horse running at Doncaster called ‘Don’t Do It’ so I bet on that with my car tax money instead – it lost.
3. My mate said that if the cost of the tax is more than what the car is worth you haven’t got to pay it – it’s not, so I didn’t.
4. I fell out of a tree picking plums and broke both my arms.
5. I took too much Viagra and couldn’t leave the house.
6. I’d forgotten the motorbike was in my garage – it was hidden behind the BBQ so it’s not my fault.
7. I had man flu and couldn’t go to the Post Office.
8. I’ve been out of the country for four months and I forgot where I parked my car.
9. My dog ate the reminder.
10.My reminder on my phone didn’t work so it’s not my fault